Telemedicine for HIV/AIDS Patients
PIB, Friday, May 07, 2010
The telemedicine facility for HIV infected patients is being set up on a pilot basis in the Center of Excellence, Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi. The project, called Project DISHA is a joint collaboration between University of New Mexico, USA & National AIDS Control Organization (NACO), Govt. of India.
The telemedicine facility will link Antiretroviral Therapy (ART) centres in remote areas with the Centers of Excellence (COE). The interaction between medical officers at ART centres with specialists at Centers of Excellence will promote access to better knowledge and practices that will translate into better care for the HIV patients at these ART centers.
Assistance of World Health Organization (WHO) was sought and obtained in strategic planning of prevention, treatment and control measures for HIV/AIDS since the time the first case of HIV was reported in the country.
Specific technical assistance is being received for:
1. Surveillance for identifying and tracking the epidemic
2. Screening of blood for blood borne pathogens to ensure safe blood transfusion
3. Technical Assistance in expanding the counseling and testing facilities in the country
4. Technical Assistance in scaling up of Antiretroviral therapy (ART) for adult and paediatric HIV infected patients
5. Monitoring and determining, emergence and levels of HIV Drug Resistance
6. Technical Assistance in scaling up of prevention of mother to child transmission facilities
7. Establishing measures to manage HIV/TB co-infections.
Periodic training workshops on rabies are being conducted at National Centre for Disease Control as a part of WHO Biennium activity.
This information was given by Minister of State for Health & Family Welfare, Shri Dinesh Trivedi in written reply to a question raised in Lok Sabha today.
Truth resides in every human heart, and one has to search for it there, and to be guided by truth as one sees it. But no one has a right to coerce others to act according to his own view of truth. - Mohandas Gandhi
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "SAFE - Social Action Foundation for Equity" group.
To post to this group, send email to
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
For more options, visit this group at